How to cast a spincast reel
One of the easiest fishing reels to use is the spincast reel. They are both easy to use and great for beginners because they have a fixed spool which making it impossible to get a backlash while casting.
There are two different types. The first is called a spincast reel and it sits on top of the fishing pole. The second one is called an underspin reel because it is situated underneath the rod much like a spinning reel.
In this post we will discuss how to cast each one of them.
Is there a difference between a spincast reel and an underspin reel?
The simple answer is no. The mechanics in the spincast reel are the exact same as the underspin reel. As you can see the only difference is the location of the reel.
Many fishermen prefer the underspin reel because they tend to be more ergonomic and more comfortable to use. So if you are looking to purchase one it is important to consider buying one that is going to be comfortable for you while perhaps fishing for hours out on the lake.
(You might be interesting in reading this previous post: Ultimate Guide To Choosing The Best Spincast Reel)
How To Cast A Spincast Reel
The following steps are to demostrate how to do a side arm cast, but the same principles apply when doing an over the shoulder cast.
- Begin by pushing and holding the thumb release button on the backside of the reel. This disengages the reel. Keep in mind that once you release the button the reel is put into free spin mode.
- While continuing to hold the button down, bring the rod to the side. Then with one smooth forward motion bring the rod forward.
- When the rod becomes even with your body release the button. This puts the reel in free spool mode and the weight of your fishing lure will carry out your line.
- Turn the handle to re-engage the lock and begin to retrieve.
How To Cast An Underspin Reel
Once again these instructions are for how to do a side arm cast. Follow the same principles to do an over the shoulder cast.
- Begin by pulling the trigger with your index finger and holding it.
- While continuing to hold the trigger, bring the fishing rod to one side. With one smooth continous motion bring the rod forward.
- When the tip of the fishing rod is even with your body release the trigger.
- Re-engage the lock by turning the handle and begin your retrieval.
For more information check out the following video:
Final Step: Practice
While out on the water we encounter many different situations. In order to be a successful fisherman we need to be able to cast the bait where the fish are located. To be able to do this it is essential we learn to cast accurately. While practicing to cast with your spincast reel, continue to practice until you can cast within a few feet of your target. Also, don’t be afraid to change it up. Don’t limit yourself to side arm cast or an over the shoulder cast. Try all of them. Perfect them all.
Share with us your tips on how to cast a spincast reel in the comments below.